There are two parts to pensions; the part when you are saving for your future called the accumulation phase and then the part when you start taking benefits from your pension called the decumulation stage. This section deals with the decumulation phase.


Since April 2015 savers have been able to access their entire pension fund from age 55*. 25% of the value of your fund can be withdrawn tax free, however the remaining 75% can also now be withdrawn, subject to income tax at the highest marginal rate.

*Legislation may be changing the date that you can take personal pension benefits to fall in line with your State Retirement Age (SRA); this would mean that you can take your pension 10 years prior to your SRA.

Retirement Choices & Fund Withdrawal
Income Drawdown


Income drawdown allows you to take an income directly from your pension fund while leaving the remainder invested for potential further growth.

This type of plan allows you to control how and when you receive your retirement income whether that is on a regular basis or ad-hoc payments as and when you need a little extra. You can choose a range of investments but remember that the performance of the investments will affect the income you receive.


An annuity gives you guaranteed income for life and is commonly purchased at retirement. Using a lump sum from your pension fund or savings to buy an annuity means you do not need to worry about budgeting for an unknown period.

Remember that you can buy your annuity from any provider; there are various types available. As Independent Financial Advisors we can help you to decide if an annuity is the best option for you, and if so, we can help you utilise your ‘Open Market Option’ to ensure you receive the maximum income available in the market.

Pension Annuities

Innovation Centre Highfield Dr, St Leonards, Hastings TN38 9UH


Before you supply any personal details to us via this website please read our customer privacy notice information on our Privacy & Cookie Policy page.

This notice sets out how we will process your personal data in line with the General Data Protection Regulations. "GDPR has been incorporated into the UK Data Protection Act. Following Brexit, the UK enacted the Data Protection Act 2018" (Source). Once you have read the customer privacy notice, please tick to confirm that you have read it and that you agree to Porters Financial processing your personal information for the purpose of contacting you. We will not use the details you provide us in the contact page to market to you.

(to be removed)